This post may contain affiliate links to products or services which, if you purchase, may result in my earning commissions at no additional cost to you.
Punching bags and heavy bags are good to use outside. But, when it rains they can get wet.
So, can a punching bag or heavy bag get wet? If a punching bag or heavy bag gets wet it will degrade the material. Mold can grow which will damage the material. It may attract sand fleas and other bugs that will eat away at the material. It is best to keep a heavy bag covered or use a movable rack heavy bag for outdoor use.
Now there are different materials which a heavy bag can be made from. There are also a range of covers and rack types which can be used. So below, I’ll talk about the different fillings, covers, and racks that are best for a heavy bag that gets wet.
Can you leave a punching bag outside?
When a punching bag is left outside it will usually get rained on. When the rain sits on the bag it will start to develop mould. When the mould grows it puts it’s roots into the fabric. It then turns the fabric into soil. This will weaken your heavy bag or punching bag. Also, the moisture will attract small bugs which will eat the bag. There are options to stop it getting wet.
Do they make an outdoor heavy bag?
There are no bags that have material which can be left outside. There are portable racks, as well as covers which are the best option. Because working out outside is nice.
The options are:
- Shadow Balls. There are shadow balls that can be used against a solid wall. They are about the size of a small soccer ball and improve coordination.
- A portable rack. These have a free-standing base which you can detach from the bag. You set up the bag and pack it down after you use it. These are a bit cumbersome but will 100% protect your bag from the elements. You can also take with you traveling. Most people when traveling will drop into a local gym to use their heavy bags. If you enjoy training regularly you could take it with you.
- Places to hang the bag. You may have places to hang the bag. Such as a tree. You may also have somewhere to mount a hook or bolt a piece of metal to hang it from. You can then take the bag down after you use it and bring it inside. Another option would be to check out one of our recommended heavy bag hangers.
- Heavy and punching bag covers. These cover the bag. You put it and take it off when you use it. They are waterproof and block the sun.
- Free Standing punching bags. These have a solid base and the heavy bag or punching bag sits on top of it. The base is filled with water or sand to weigh it down.
The type of material used to fill the bag is a consideration. If the bag is filled with sand it will last longer than a bag filled with sawdust or fabric. This is because the sawdust will rot, and the fabric will mould and break down. Whereas, sand is finely packed and wont allow mould to grow on it. Over time the contents of the bag will settle to the bottom. This is good because when learning you should hit the top of the bag which is softer. If you are shorter you should take the bag down and roll it out to even it up otherwise it will be too hard for effective practice.
How long will a heavy bag last if it gets wet?
Depending on how long it gets rained on it will last 1 to 2 years. It will become discolored and mould will grow on it. It wont look good. A heavy bag that you keep inside will last a lifetime.
What is a heavy bag cover & do they work?
There are different types of materials you can use to cover a heavy bag. You want to ensure it is waterproof. You can purchase bags made specifically for covering a free standing heavy bag. If you are interested in a waterproof cover for a free standing heavy bag then check this out.
For a bag which you hang up you should make one yourself from a tarpaulin or other waterproof material. Most covers have an opening where the bag connects to the hanger. Water will still get in during heavy rain. A better option is to use a freestanding rack, free standing heavy bag. You can use hooks to secure the bag which can be removed.
How should I hang a heavy bag outside?
The options for hanging a heavy bag outside are to
- Attach it to a wall. There are frames which can be bolted into the wall, they are about 3 feet square (1m x1m). Concrete or hardwood is the best for this. Look at the manufacturer’s instructions or talk to your local hardware store about bolt selection.
- Gave a free standing frame. Free standing frames can also be a solid base where the heavy sits on top. It does not hang from anything. These are filled with sand or water.
- Bolt it to the floor. Some frames can be attached to the floor. They have one main pole, and supporting poles. They are bolted to the floor and have an attachment where a heavy bag can hang from. These get in they as compared with frames which you attach to the wall. But if you don’t have a suitable wall, or this type of frame would suit your space, then they are a good option.
- Hang it from a tree. Some people will have trees on their property which are strong enough to support a heavy bag. Large thick low hanging branches are best for this. You may have to get a ladder out. So that you can attach something to attach the heavy bag to. Ropes or strops are preferred to chains or wire as they won’t damage the tree as much.
- Use a shadow ball. Shadow balls are a good supplement to heavy bag training. Whether you want a break from the heavy bag or want a heavy bag workout without needing a big heavy bag you should definitely check them out [here].
A heavy bag can get wet if you leave it outside. If it gets wet it won’t last as long as if you keep it dry. This is because mould will begin to grow and damage the material. Sun will also dry out the cover. This will make the material weaker and more susceptible to cracking and splitting. A cover should be used if a heavy bag is to be left outside. There are also options to create a detachable heavy bag. These can be used so that the heavy bag can be brought inside. There are some that attach to the wall, are free standing, or can be attached to the ground. Other options are to attach it to a tree.